The history of the Linnaeus Garden

According to Linnaeus’ plans

When the Swedish Linnaeus Society acquired access to Linnaeus’ botanical garden, restoration of the facilities began. The basis was the drawings in Hortus Upsaliensis (1745), Linnaeus’ own original plan. To be able to provide the garden with the right plant material, a register was used that listed the plants that had grown in the garden in Linnaeus’ time. The register had been compiled by Oscar Juel from Linnaeus’ published works and letters.

The Linnaeus Garden was formally inaugurated in 1923 at the Society’s spring meeting and by 1928 the garden was considered fully restored. The process had been extremely costly. The Society was therefore grateful for donations and gifts from companies and individuals, not only in the form of seeds and plants, but also water and sand free of charge from Uppsala’s municipal water system and quarries.

The Swedish Linnaeus Society ran the Linnaeus Garden until 1978, when Uppsala University took over the responsibility.