Inaugurated in 1937
In 1918, the Society was granted access rights to Linnaeus’ home and garden with its orangery (a conservatory). This enabled the Society to realise its plans to restore the garden and found a Linnaeus museum. At the time, Linnaeus’ residence was home to Hugo Alfvén, Director Musices of the University, so the museum project had to wait until Alfvén retired, in 1934. Until then, the garden orangery was a provisional Linnaeus Museum.
In 1934, renovation work could begin and the transfer of Linnaeus’ household effects to their original home. The renovation was funded with, among other things, the proceeds of lotteries, by the town of Uppsala and the local coffee company ”Uppsala kaféaktiebolag”. Construction work was carried out by the builders Anders Diös. The restoration was carried out under the supervision of antiquarian Erik Lundberg, while the custodian Sigurd Wallin and the museum amanuensis Nils Sundquist were advisers on the restoration and the museum installation.
The inauguration of the Linnaeus Museum on 30 May 1937 was ceremonious. Representatives from the Royal family and a large number of other invited guests of honour were invited and walked in procession from the orangery to Linnaeus’ home, where Prince Eugen declared the museum open. The museum opened for the general public the following day.
The Swedish Linnaeus Society still has main responsibility for the Linnaeus Museum. It is a state-owned listed building and is managed by the National Property Board.