Visit the Linnaeus Museum

The Linnaeus Museum in Uppsala.

The house the Linnaeus family lived in is situated in the Linnaeus Garden. It is today a museum where furniture, clothes, glass, silver and other belongings of the family are on display. The museum is open between May and September. Tours can be booked all around the year. The Swedish Linnaeus Society is the founder of the Linnaeus Museum. For opening hours or to book tours visit Uppsala Linnean Gardens. 

History of the Linnaeus Museum.

The house tas built in 1693 by Uppsala University's professor of medicine Olof Rudbeck senior. It was used by the director of the botanical garden, a function connected to one of the chairs at the medical faculty. When Carl Linnaeus was appointed professor of medicine the house was rebuilt and refurbished, after Linnaeus had complained that it was "more like a robber's den and an owl's nest".
The Linnaeus family moved in after the restoration. When the botanical garden moved to the location by Uppsala castle the house was used for other purposes by Uppsala University. The last person to live there was the musical director of the university, composer Hugo Alfvén. In 1918 it was decided that the Swedish Linnaeus Society should be granted the right to use the house and turn it into a museum. This plan could be realised when Hugo Alfvén moved out in 1934. As a start a museum was organised in the orangery building in the garden. 
 The creation of the museum was funded partly with money from a lottery, from Uppsala municipality and with support from the Anders Diös building company. The inauguration took place on May 30, 1937. The festivities included a procession and opening ceremony. Members of the royal family attended and prince Eugene declared the museum open. The following day the museum opened to the public. 

The Swedish Linnaeus Society functions as the trust of the museum today. The building is a governmentally listed building and The National Property Board is responsible for maintenance. 

The photo below shows furniture being moved into the museum in 1937. 
Photo from

Inflyttning i Linnémuseet 1937